Flour Lab’s Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes: (35) medium cookies
Chill Time: 3 hours, total
2-1/2 c. (11.25 oz.) Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
1 t. Baking Soda
2 t. Instant Espresso Powder
8 oz. Butter (unsalted), Melted
2.25 oz. Sugar
1 c. packed (8 oz.) Light Brown Sugar
1-1/4 t. Salt
1 Egg Yolk
2 t. Vanilla Extract
6 oz. Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
6 oz. Milk Chocolate Chips
3.5 oz. Pecans, Toasted and Chopped
1. Gather and measure out all ingredients, beginning with cold ingredients.
2. Sift together flour, baking soda, and instant espresso powder; set aside. Mix melted butter (still warm), sugars, and salt in stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Beat until combined. Add egg (with vanilla added), and mix until incorporated. Scrape down bowl and add yolk. Beat until incorporated, and scrape down bowl again. Slowly add flour mixture, on low speed, just until combined. Add chips and nuts; quickly mix with short bursts of the mixer.
3. Refrigerate 1 hour.
4. Using medium cookie scoop (1-3/4” dia.), portion chilled dough onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. Once all cookies are formed, cover pan with plastic wrap and chill 2 additional hours.
5. Preheat oven to 375°. Line additional cookie sheets with parchment paper.
6. Arranging 6 cookies on each pan, bake about 10 minutes, rotating pan half way through.
7. Remove from oven and let cookies cool on pan about 4 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.